Monday, July 21, 2008

All About Spelling

After tiring of using spelling curriculum that seemed to teach primarly by lists and not rules someone on the WTM board suggested I try All About Spelling. I took her advice and bought the first 2 levels. We are almost through with the first level and I am loving it! It's a curriculum that uses multisensory learning, visual, auditory and kinesthetic. Each lesson comes with a teachers manual which has step by step instuctions for each lessons, and cards which differ for each level, for example level one comes with Phonogram Cards, Sound Cards, Key Cards, Word Cards, and dividers. Their are also letter tiles that you will need to purchases separately, and I highly recommend purchasing the magnets as well, I didn't and really wish I had now!

The beginning of each lesson you use the letter tiles to demonstrate new spelling rules and then you give you child more words that follow the same rules that they spell with the letter tiles. In the beginning of lesson one students are learned to segment words using colored disks. For example you give the student 3 disks and tell them the word ham. For each sound they hear they pull down a token. Then they move on to the pulling down the letter tiles that represent each sound and then writing the word on paper.


You'll need to buy and index card box for all the cards that come with it. The dividers that come with them are labled, for example, Phonogram cards Review, Phonogram Cards Mastered and Phonograms Cards Future lessons, with a divider for each catagory.
There is also built in review. Each lesson you review previously taught rules,( the key cards), the phonogram cards, sound cards and the word cards until they have been mastered and then you move those cards behind the master divider.

I can't say enough about this program! I'm learning things I never knew about spelling and my dd8 is doing wonderfully with it!

Visit their website at. http://www.all-about-spelling.com/
They are currently have a sale for 25% of their just released level four!

No comments: