Thursday, March 19, 2009

What we've been up to

We have been very busy lately just with everyday life. Who knew homeschooling with a very active preschooler and toddler could be so hard! I think I meet myself coming and going all day long! I'm going to try my best to write a post every day but let's be real it just might not happen. LOL Right now I'm really working hard on our Native American studies. I'm hoping to post about what we are doing and my plans very soon. On my left sidebar you will see some of the wonderful books we've been reading for our studies. We just finished up learning about the Inuit of the Arctic. More to come on this later.

Speed Racer has really been struggling learning to read. I just received Abecedarian in the mail last week. I was hoping this might be the answer for him but I'm not sure it's going to work. Abecedarian is a Phono-graphix approach meaning it teaches the sound and then the written symbol that convey those sounds. There are no rules to learn and many spellings for one sound are taught at one time. It teaches the student to 'flex' the sound meaning to run through the different possibilities to come up with the right word. I'm giving it a try but I'm not sure it will work.

I've made an appointment for Speed Racer with a child psychologist to see if there are any learning dissabilities. I may make an appointment with a developmental optometrist to see if there is something going on visually. He rubs his eyes a lot when he is reading.

I post awhile ago about deciding which way to go with our math Curriculum. I think I've decided on RightStart but now I need to raise the funds to afford it. LOL

No comments: