Friday, September 26, 2008
Our Homeschool Curriculum
Math
For both of my older dc we are using Rod & Staff Math 2. They are close in age, only a year apart, so I thought it would be easier if we combined what we could. Math wise my dd8 was a little bit ahead of her brother but he has caught up fast and now they are both at about the same level. We are almost finished with unit 3, only 2 more units after this and we will be moving on to grade 3 for math! I'm really pleased with how Rod & Staff approaches math. It teaches addition and subtaction through triplets (fact families) It really makes learning easy. For instances their triplet for this week is 13 7 6. All my dc have to do is memorize those numbers and when they see 13-7 they know the missing number is 6 so that is the answer. No more finger counting! Yippy!
Grammer
For my dd8 we just started First Language Lessons For the Well Trained Mind by level 3
So far she likes it.
For my ds7 we are using First Language Lessons For the Well-Trained Mind 1/2. We are on lesson 77.
Grammer is something that takes little time but for some reason it get forgotten about a lot. I'm making a point to not let that happen any more.
Writing
We just started Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer today. It looks like a great book and I'm excited to finally have this all layed out for me. I'm hoping we can eventually get the workbooks that go along with the book but for now it can be used without them.
Phonics
I've been using The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading By Jessie Wise with my ds7. He is really struggling with reading so today I started using Phonics Pathways. I'm going to give that a few weeks and if he's still struggling I'm going to try BRI...more on that later.
History
We are using The Story of the World 1 by Susan Wise Bauer. My dc seem to love history but that is another subject that hardly ever gets done.
For both of my older dc we are using Rod & Staff Math 2. They are close in age, only a year apart, so I thought it would be easier if we combined what we could. Math wise my dd8 was a little bit ahead of her brother but he has caught up fast and now they are both at about the same level. We are almost finished with unit 3, only 2 more units after this and we will be moving on to grade 3 for math! I'm really pleased with how Rod & Staff approaches math. It teaches addition and subtaction through triplets (fact families) It really makes learning easy. For instances their triplet for this week is 13 7 6. All my dc have to do is memorize those numbers and when they see 13-7 they know the missing number is 6 so that is the answer. No more finger counting! Yippy!
Grammer
For my dd8 we just started First Language Lessons For the Well Trained Mind by level 3
So far she likes it.
For my ds7 we are using First Language Lessons For the Well-Trained Mind 1/2. We are on lesson 77.
Grammer is something that takes little time but for some reason it get forgotten about a lot. I'm making a point to not let that happen any more.
Writing
We just started Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer today. It looks like a great book and I'm excited to finally have this all layed out for me. I'm hoping we can eventually get the workbooks that go along with the book but for now it can be used without them.
Phonics
I've been using The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading By Jessie Wise with my ds7. He is really struggling with reading so today I started using Phonics Pathways. I'm going to give that a few weeks and if he's still struggling I'm going to try BRI...more on that later.
History
We are using The Story of the World 1 by Susan Wise Bauer. My dc seem to love history but that is another subject that hardly ever gets done.
Labels:
Curriculum,
Homeschool
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment